The Black Graduate Student Excellence Bursary (BGSEB) was created by the UTGSU in partnership with the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies (SGS) in September 2020 to provide financial support to help improve fair and equitable access to educational opportunities for Black students in graduate studies at the University of Toronto. It recognizes that talent and excellence thrive in Black communities and that providing fair and equitable access to educational opportunities acknowledges the creativity, leadership capacity and gifted nature of Black students.
A total of fifteen (15) bursaries of $2000 each are available for distribution in the academic year. It aims to provide additional financial support to help offset the costs associated with academic endeavors for domestic and international Black students, completing graduate studies at the University of Toronto. Priority will be given to first-year students commencing graduate studies. The bursary will be offered and held by students in addition to any other financial aid or graduate funding they may receive (OSAP, major awards, or graduate funding).
Application is CLOSED.
Please read all the instructions in the sections and links listed below carefully:
- Self-Identify as Black.
- Be registered full-time in a Master’s or Doctoral program at the University of Toronto.
- Be a Canadian domestic or International student
- Demonstrate financial need through the application process
- Member of the UTGSU. All graduate students are considered UTGSU members, unless they elect to opt-out of paying GSU fees through their incidental fees.
Applicants must fill out online google form by the application deadline. A complete application will include ALL of the following items:
- Completed Black Graduate Student Excellence Bursary application
- Completion of the Financial Needs Assessment Form that MUST be submitted to SGS. Results remain confidential and will be viewed and assessed by SGS only.
- Personal Statement of up to one page – describing why the applicant is suitable and should be considered for the bursary, their academic objectives, and how financial assistance through this bursary would support their long-range goals; and
- CV that outlines relevant experience and academic achievements, including publications, professional, academic, and extracurricular activities no longer than two pages;
- Two letters of reference (no longer than one page each) with at least one being from an academic familiar with the student’s work/research. Referees must use the online referee tool and submit by the application deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure references are submitted by their referees before the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Letters can/should address the following:
Applicant’s ability and promise towards their research focus
Applicant’ Student’s career and or academic goals
The application will close on 31 March 2023 at 12pm.
REFERENCES FOR THE Black Graduate Students’ Excellence BURSARY
Applicants are required to submit two (2) references to accompany this application with at least one being from an academic familiar with the student’s work/research.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the link to the reference form is shared with and submitted by their referee before the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
FINANCIAL NEEDS ASSESSMENT FORM
Applicants are also required to complete a Financial Needs Assessment PDF Form which will be submitted directly to the SGS. Instructions for submission can be found in the form. These details you input are confidential and will be viewed and assessed by SGS only.
Bgseb award committee
The UTGSU encourages individuals who self-identify as Black and are a member of the UTGSU to serve on the BGSEB Awards Committee. Please note however, that BGSEB Awards Committee Members are not eligible to apply to BGSEB.
DATE OF SUBMISSION EXTENDED
BGSEB Award Committee Application Deadline has been extended to 11 April 2023
If you require accessibility accommodations or have any questions related to the Black Graduate Student Excellence Bursary (BGSEB) please email firstname.lastname@example.org.