Travel insurance is covered in your UTGSU Health and Dental Insurance (HDI) plan. The coverage is for 120 days of each trip. Students who are leaving on a recognized academic exchange are also covered for the duration of their exchange and for another 120 days before and after their approved exchange. They must remain Members of the UTGSU, pay fees to University of Toronto including the Health Plan fee and keep their provincial health-care coverage.
Please note: The UTGSU Travel Insurance does not cover you if you are going to your home country.
If you require a “Travel Letter” (proof of coverage) when applying for Visa, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It should include: Your name, Your Student Number, Purpose of your Travel and Travel Dates. We require 4 business days to process this request.
Travel Insurance covers hospital, physician, and other services for emergency treatment of an injury or illness while travelling outside of the province in which you reside (including international travel). Repatriation is covered up to $7,500 CAD. The maximum coverage is $5,000,000 CAD per incident.
When travelling outside your province of residence, you and your family (if you opted in your family) are eligible for:
- Worldwide medical coverage
- Comprehensive medical benefits with up to $5 million per emergency
- Trip cancellation in case of a medical emergency
- Up to $1,500 per trip for pre-paid, non-refundable trip expenses in case of a medical emergency
- Trip interruption in case of a medical emergency
- Up to $5,000 per trip in case of a medical emergency
We recommend that you review your detailed explanation of coverage prior to travelling. Details are available at Student Care.